Share it with your friends!

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

How a painting turned me pale :(



The college where my Mom taught looked stereotypical of an old university. Large hectares of land, buildings which looked haunted , cobwebs which signified home to generations of spiders, and the names of students starting from the 60’s engraved on every wall.  In between if one spots a room with a potted plant or a creeper, it is probably my Mom’s. She has a penchant for interior designing, decorative furniture, indoor plants, wall hangings and these attract her more than sarees or gold (Or so, I think ;-) ). Our home in Trivandrum and her room in college are living examples to her vast experiments. She has a creative eye to see aesthetic beauty even in the weirdest piece of wood.  Over the years I too started loving wall hangings and hung a few of them in my room.

Soon after my marriage I realized that my better half doesn’t appreciate wall hangings. However I got a few oil paintings as gifts on my wedding and carried them enthusiastically to Bangalore where we rented a home. Soon our home was garnished with new furniture, carpets  - well the carpets were to cover the innumerable wires of the home theatre that went helter skelter on the floor. A clock was nailed on the wall of the living room.

One Saturday when he had to be at office, I took out the oil painting which featured Shakuntala . It was a very common Ravi Varma duplicate piece, but looked quite awesome. I replaced the clock in the living room, with the painting.  The painting was quite large to go unnoticed… and when he was back, he gave me a gyaan on how functional the clock was to the living room, compared to the 'useless' painting I hung in its place. I continued to hold a deaf ear to it as it wasn't  a big deal anyway.

Few days later, we were informed about guests who were to arrive on a short notice and I had to rush to the kitchen to cook a meal. Planning and execution of a last minute meal wasn’t easy for an expert cook like me, who relies on cook books and long distance calls to boil eggs right…still efforts continued until every cutlery crockery and utensil was smeared with bits and parts of the ultimate lunch which was being cooked. Hubby continued to dictate the route on phone to the guests who were already on their way. ( If it was me I would have told them longest route to reach here…) but I couldn’t afford to handle more disasters than the ones which were already cooking in a pressure cooker, frying pan, microwave oven and rice cooker simultaneously. Lunch time was fast approaching, the guests had almost reached and I called out to him to know what time it was. Pat came a roar from the living room.

'Ask Shakuntala ! '



31 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. amazing Anita,, totally unexpected!!

    One last word, made my expression change from "A happy smile" (common while reading ur posts) to a thunderbolt laughter!!
    can't stop grinning!!

    hats off!!

    oh, btw, i would've loved to see ur reaction ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pwahahhahahah! Oh God! Anyone in his place would have done the same! Hehhe

    Good one! Again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. നന്നായി പോയി :) അങ്ങനെ തന്നെ വേണം !

    ReplyDelete
  5. Moonlite: So glad it made u laugh, dear ! Ur comment made my day !


    Red Handed : Thank u !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aghi chechi: So glad u liked it !



    Praful: GRRR !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahaha.... that was a hilarious reply!
    BTW, even I would have preferred Shakuntala to a silly clock! What are mobiles for then, right? :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. loved it :) cant stop smiling Anita..

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shalini: :D Exxaactly !!


    Aparna : :) Danks, dear !

    ReplyDelete
  10. trust me .when i saw the picture itself i understoood what this blog was about;) that was one of abus best jokes:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Vinee: So u just looked at the picture and dint read ???

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hahahaaaaahaaa Anita this is just superb, didnt see it coming at all, loved it;-D

    ReplyDelete
  13. hey first time here....you have got an amazing blog :D :D
    and loved the last line :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply me: Thank u ...and thanks for dropping by !




    Nel: Thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your better half has a great sense of timing and u have a great flair for humor :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Men and women just don't see eye to eye on decorating I guess. My mom's advise to me was - leave the decorating of the home to your wife. I have faithfully followed that advise and it has paid good dividends - the result a nice peaceful home. Mrs. GQ does good.
    So hold your place and tell him he needs to let you have full rein.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Quakeboy :D


    Grayquill: Have shown your comment to him, and he nods his head in positive support. :D Thanks, GQ !

    ReplyDelete
  18. hahahaha... pavam u.. u were just trying to add 'aesthetic' appeal to the house and ur hubby..shay.. :P btw do men turn sarcastic after marriage? *worried* :s

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sunshine : Yes :( Finally someone understood me .. Regarding men turning sarcastic after marriage...hmmm thats a lot to talk abt... I dont know...I know him for the last six years...and we married two years back....has not changed much I should say ;) Now after u asked...I think the sarcasm has slightly increased :D

    ReplyDelete
  20. omg...so super cute!
    and could totally relate to your expertise in the kitchen...and if I was on that phone...I'd probably guide them wrong so they never reach!
    Lol..amazing twist at the end:-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Suruchi : Thanks :D Actually I also wanted to guide them wrong :D

    ReplyDelete
  22. HAHAHAHAHA!! Killer last line!
    A single line elevated the post to a hilarious level! Awesome Anita :D

    ReplyDelete
  23. Haha that was a killer line when it happened also :D Thanks, Blunt !!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Super...Can't stop laughing :-)

    ReplyDelete

Spread the word!