Share it with your friends!

Friday, July 15, 2011

Being me !


I was the youngest in my family for several years, until my cousin was born. Its not a cakewalk, my friend. Yes, I was pampered to bits…but it all came at a cost !!!. Here are a few prices I pay to this day, for the unintentional fault of being the youngest and these might be true for you if you’ve been there too.


You may be a he or a she, but your family refers to you as ‘It’.

They will take you for movies and picnic, but never will the choice of movie/picnic spot be yours.

You are shushed if you try to speak when they are discussing something.

If at all you speak, they will find grammatical mistakes in your sentence, or simply laugh for reasons only known to them.

If you make the mistake of: singing a song by the wrong lyrics/writing poetry/speak English in your younger years, it will be remembered by them all your life and will be recited even in front of your spouse.

As you grow older, you grow younger in their heads.

When you complete high school / degree / graduation, they will wonder how it even happened! (Your grades wouldn’t matter)

To you they increasingly appear to be silly people who do not understand the concept that once toddlers will not be toddlers forever.

At your marriage they will laugh and pity your spouse.

They will ensure that the spouse also doesn’t take you seriously.

After your marriage they will continue to make decisions.

You will be shushed in front of your spouse.

They will make long distance calls to your hostel/workplace and wind up asking you to check whether the front door is properly locked, and not to play with power plugs.

You will not be entrusted with money, gold, keys to home/car, umbrella, purse …in short, any valuables.

Whenever they get a chance to book tickets for you, they think aloud that it seemed like yesterday they booked a half ticket for you. Every time.

If at all you make a serious statement at any point in your life, they will annoy you further by a melodramatic reminiscence of the frock and shoes you wore at age 3, which sits in the in the Godrej wardrobe of your ancestral home.

They will make you feel that you did a terrible crime by growing up.

 ;-) Here is to all my folks for whom I am still the little girl in a pink frock!  Yes, you are welcome.

13 comments:

  1. Owwwww...hahahha Poor you!
    All they want to show is care but end up supressing and making us luk like an overgrown retard baby.

    I hear you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL, okay I am the younger one, youngest one rather, but I wonder if I have been given that treatment? I guess not. Most of them. :P

    Cheers,
    Blasphemous Aesthete

    ReplyDelete
  3. being the only child I know how much great it seems to be pampered. :)

    Weakest LINK

    ReplyDelete
  4. And I thought my being the elder child was like the duniya ka bojh on my shoulders!:-)

    And for some of these pointers I reallllyyyyy thank god that I am what I am...but then I wish someday we see the other side of the fence too!

    Super cute post! My sympathies to all the younger lot:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Red Handed : Exactly. Overgrown retarded baby. Thats what I am to them !



    Blasphemous Aesthete: You are lucky then!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachit: I love to be pampered too..but this is a diff story altogether ! Theyve come a long way from the pampering stage !



    Suruchi: So glad u understood me ! Sob !

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL....I think what ure talking about is the life of every Indian kid (youngest or eldest)!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm that could also be true, chechi :(

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lol ..!! Ithu thanne preshnam ! 'baby' !!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh! I don't care what you say! You will always be my first baby! :D

    ReplyDelete

Spread the word!